Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sew Serendipity

Another fun person to meet face-to-face at quilt market was the delightful Kay Whitt. I love her patterns for clothing. I have a stack of patterns and a couple of her books that I want to use to make more clothes. It makes me wonder what it is that brings her into the quilter world rather than the McCalls/Butterick world. There are not too many clothing designers with booths set up at quilt market. But it seems like there is huge room for growth in these emerging markets. Clothing really is my first love in sewing. I can sew bags backwards, blindfolded, and in my sleep. But I really want to be able to better design clothing. So I asked Kay lots of questions, and she was full of insight and very helpful.


Isn't she cute and little?


I love her beautiful samples here. She uses so much color with a touch of vintage and a lot of Joel Dewberry fabric, which is always a plus in my book.


Isn't this funky? Love it. Don't know if I would be bold enough to wear it.


This is my favorite of her creations. This book, Sew Serendipity, is wonderful. I made the dress below with a pattern from this book and hope to make many more of her designs from the book.


I made the dress in Amy Butler fabric. It is comfortable and so fun to wear.


I also started this dress, which is a Kay Whitt pattern. I did not complete the pattern though. The reasons are these:
#1. It is way too busy... don't you think? I would look like a clown in it.
#2. I took my measurements when I was nursing, so I made the large. I am probably a small in this particular pattern because when I put the dress on, it was ENORMOUS on me. The dress has one long side seam so I could just take it in, but I would be embarrassed to wear it, walking down the street because it is so bright and wild.

So what do I do? Should I complete the Kay Whitt dress in"Wonderland by Momo for Moda" fabric or do I cut it up and make bags out of the fabric? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I vote for bags. Kind of reminds me of the "enthusiastic" lady at quilt market you posted about earlier. I am envisioning some cute bags. :D

    ReplyDelete